Budget Airlines in the US - September 2015
“The low-cost airlines – Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin America, Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier – are growing much faster than the mature network airlines which merged when they emerged from bankruptcy. They grow faster because of their low costs, specifically low labor costs, which in turn allow for lower fares. The faster they grow, the larger the percentage of new aircraft under warranty (which translates into lower maintenance costs) and of employees who have less seniority (are lower paid); the low-cost airlines do not have the ‘baggage’ or legacy costs of pension and health care costs that the much older and mature network airlines are burdened with.”
– Vaughn Cordle, founding partner and chief analyst, Ionosphere Capital, LCC
This report looks at the following areas:
• What drives demand for budget flights in the US?
• What is the size of the budget airline industry in the US?
• Is there any diversity within the budget airline industry in the US?
• Which airlines are the main budget carriers in the US and what are their market positions?
• How did the protracted recession in the US (December 2007-June 2009) affect the budget airline industry?
• How have budget airlines in the US performed post recession?
• What are the issues facing budget airlines in the US?
• What might the future of low-cost air travel in the US look like?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.