Burgers - UK - August 2010
This report covers burgers sold through retail outlets for consumption at home. Meat burgers include products the prime protein constituent of which is beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey or fish, while meat-free burgers are those made primarily of meat substitutes or vegetable matter. These substitutes include for example Quorn soya and tofu.
- New premium burgers could have marked potential to tap into the pool of 19m adults who report being willing to pay more for burgers with high quality ingredients (eg venison).
- Unusual and ‘exciting’ meats or toppings can help manufacturers attract the nearly 13m adults who look for more adventurous or exotic burgers.
- Credible transparency combined with quality can provide a route for burgers to differentiate themselves in the market, to attract the nearly 16m adults who doubt the quality of pre-prepared burgers.
- Cross-promoting burgers with more 'gourmet-style' toppings and combinations thereof can find resonance among the 19m people who see quality toppings as key to making a burger special.
- Burgers targeted as suitable for the nutrition requirements of young children, eg in terms of salt and energy content, could find demand among the four in five parents of 3.8m under fives concerned about the healthiness of burgers.
- The ‘treat’ dimension of burgers appears underdeveloped. Half of adults like to treat themselves to indulgent foods, yet only one in four that eat burgers choose them as a treat, suggesting potential to grow usage by positioning burgers as a treat.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.