Business Travel - UK - August 2010
This report analyses market trends and consumer attitudes in regard to business travel, investigating the core market factors, strengths and weaknesses, consumer dynamics and key players in the industry.
- Just under a third of adults travelled on business in the 12 months to May 2010, a fall from the four in ten that reported doing so in the 12 months to April 2008. Business travel remains a highly male preserve – 41% of men travelled on business over the year compared to 23% of women.
- Business travel accounts for an estimated 15% of all domestic trips and 20% of all domestic travel expenditure. Overseas business travel accounts for 12% of all journeys and 14% of all spend.
- France and Germany between them account for just over a quarter of overseas business trips, and The Netherlands is now the third-largest business travel destination. Travel to Europe accounts for almost four in five business trips abroad but just over half of expenditure.
- Three in ten overseas business travellers have extended a trip to include leisure time or have taken a partner or family along for all or part of a trip (so-called ‘bleisure’ travel).
- Almost three in five of those who have been on a business trip over the past 12 months have travelled in standard/economy class; a quarter have travelled first/business class. The car is still the most common form of transport used, with (again) three in five business travellers doing so over the year.
- Just under two thirds of business travellers over the past year booked online. This divides roughly two to one in favour of online self-booking versus those whose trips are booked online by their company. A third of business travellers booked directly with hotel or transport suppliers, as opposed to booking through intermediaries/agents.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.