Cakes and Cake Bars - UK - June 2010
This report examines the UK retail market for ready-to-eat (RTE) cakes. It includes packaged (or wrapped) and unpackaged (or unwrapped) cakes that are kept at ambient temperatures. The market can be broadly segmented into large cakes, occasion cakes and individual cakes.
- The cake & cake bars market grew strongly over the last five years to reach £1.6bn in 2009, with value sales driven by rising ingredient costs and the premiumisation trend.
- Portability has emerged as a key issue for many consumers, particularly the 3 million parents with children under 4-years-old and the 3.8 million with children aged 5 to 9 years old, which has helped increase sales of cake bars and individually wrapped cakes, the fastest growing segment of the market.
- Reformulations along the lines of the fruit-based Evoid Cola, could help drive further penetration of the school lunch box market. Individually wrapped cakes and cake bars have already benefited from the perception that they are less unhealthy than crisps or chocolate.
- Cakes targeted at specific occasions such as Christmas or birthdays have out-performed the market, benefiting from a growing consumer interest in celebrations such as Easter and Halloween.
- Half of consumers like to treat themselves to cake from time to time. But this sentiment is more pronounced among older consumers and those who tend to eat/serve cake for special occasions and afternoon tea.
- Cakes are established snacks for the home but have yet to reach the same level of penetration in the on-the-go snacking market. The snacking at work occasion has the potential to broaden the existing cake user base if wrapped cakes and cake bars are given greater prominent in office vending machines.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.