Cakes and Cake Bars - UK - June 2011
This report examines the UK retail market for ready-to-eat (RTE) cakes. It includes packaged (or wrapped) and unpackaged (or unwrapped) cakes that are kept at ambient temperatures. The market can be broadly segmented into large cakes, occasion cakes and individual cakes.
- Large cakes include whole cakes, slab or cut cakes, sponge sandwich cakes, large Swiss rolls, large pies and tarts.
- Occasion cakes include celebration cakes (eg birthday cakes) and seasonal cakes (eg Christmas cakes).
- Individual cakes include small cakes, tarts, slices, cake bars, mini rolls and fruit pies. These are individual portions/slices that are packaged individually within a box (eg six apple pies/12 Bakewell tarts), with some being individually wrapped (eg mini rolls, cake bars).
- This report defines cake bars as individually wrapped cakes in a bar format. They may come in single packs, or in packs of two to six bars.
The report focuses on the wrapped cakes market. Data on unwrapped products, including those sold in high street bakeries, in-store bakeries and convenience stores, are included in the report. However, as many of the channels through which unwrapped cakes are sold, such as fêtes and cake sales, are informal and unregulated, it is difficult to obtain accurate sales figures for these distribution channels.
Chilled and frozen cakes, or cakes/cake slices sold from the chiller/freezer in supermarkets
Jaffa Cakes – they are covered in Mintel’s report Biscuits, Cookies and Crackers – UK, April 2011.
Products covered in Mintel’s report Bread and Baked Goods – UK, January 2011, including:
Traditional British morning goods including toasting products, such as English muffins, crumpets and pikelets, scones, teacakes, malt and fruit loaves, buns and other fruited products, and hotplate lines such as pancakes and griddle scones, waffles and potato cakes.
Foreign recipe products include: croissants, pain au chocolat and pain au raisin, Danish pastries, brioches, bagels, American sweet muffins, and semi-sweet bread lines of foreign origin.
Flapjacks are also excluded.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.