Canada Cooking Enthusiasts Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Cooking Enthusiasts market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Cooking Enthusiasts are those who make meals from scratch at home at least once a week, say they either like or love cooking, have a minimum of basic cooking skills and typically cook because they want to rather than because they have to. They make up 42% of the Canadian population.
- Conflicted Cooks are on the fence about their enthusiasm for cooking. They do cook at home at least once a week, say they like or love cooking, and have minimum basic skills, typically cook because they ‘have to’ (not because they want to). They represent approximately 19% of the Canadian population.
- Unenthusiastic Cooks are indifferent to cooking. This segment makes meals from scratch at home at least once a week, have basic cooking skills, and say they either do not mind or dislike cooking (as opposed to saying they like or love it). Similar to Conflicted Cooks, they do so because they ‘have to’ rather than because they ‘want to’. This segment makes up 26% of the Canadian population.
- Infrequent Cooks cook at home less than once a week and also tend to skew more towards indifference when it comes to cooking. This segment represents 9% of the population.
- Non-Cooks never cook and represent 4% of the population.
Key points included
- The dinner struggle is real, particularly for parents with younger children
- Canadians may not be so keen to experiment in the kitchen
- Dads cook for fewer reasons, marketing efforts must hit the right notes
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Carol Wong-Li, a leading analyst in the Lifestyles and Leisure sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
It can be said that Canadians know their way around a kitchen given that virtually all Canadians (97%) claim to have at least a minimum of basic cooking skills. Although the activity is one that most enjoy, time constraints and logistical considerations lead half the population to see the task as a chore. Retailers may be able to counter this by honing in on the mental wellness benefits consumers associate with cooking, as well as promoting under-utilized tools such as meal kits. While family recipes will keep being passed on from generation to generation, there is a clear movement towards digital sources amongst Canadian cooks of all ages
Senior Analyst, Lifestyles and Leisure
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.