Car Buying - UK - March 2011
The UK car market has undergone a difficult period during the last three years. Sales to the private sector, of both new and used cars, were badly hit by the UK economy entering recession during 2008. The consequent scaling back of consumer expenditure on high ticket items dented demand which has only begun to strengthen once again since 2010.
- Optimism appears to be growing among consumers with research for this report showing that four in ten adults are currently considering buying a new or used car in the coming 12 months.
- A major trend is that towards smaller, more fuel efficient cars, thanks to the rising cost of fuel. This is also set to stimulate sales of alternative fuelled vehicles, along with government incentives and manufacturers’ developments in this technology.
- Price and getting as good a deal as possible is the most important factor for many consumers when buying a car, either new or used. This is more important to female buyers, as are the cost of insuring the vehicle and its safety standards. Men have more interest than women in the car’s build quality and its speed/power.
- Ford is the leading car marque in terms of volume sales, advertising expenditure and also in consumer desirability. There are some preferences by demographics, with men keen on the BMW brand (except for the Mini model which has a far higher appeal to women), and with older drivers preferring Japanese brands.
- Our research for this report shows considerable distrust of car sales staff. Women have greater tendency to think salespeople will sell them additional extras that they don’t need (seven in ten) and half don’t enjoy the haggling process. Women are keener to buy from a dealership closer to home for ease of servicing and after-sales service.
- Mintel believes there is more potential for car dealerships to help those who are least ‘car-savvy’ to learn more about their vehicle, eg how to check tyre pressures and monitor oil and water levels, by offering classes, and to improve the car buying experience with a more transparent pricing system.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.