Carbonated Soft Drinks - UK - June 2019
Covered in this report
For the purpose of this report, the market size for carbonated soft drinks (CSD) includes sales through the following outlets:
- Retail: This includes retail outlets where CSDs are purchased for the purpose of consumption off-premise, comprising supermarkets, convenience stores and petrol forecourts among others.
- On-premise: This includes anywhere where CSDs are bought to consume on-site, eg leisure centres, hotels, restaurants, fast food venues, cafes, education establishments, the workplace and in the on-trade (ie pubs, bars, clubs)
All mainstream carbonated soft drinks are included in the market size. Diet carbonates are included. Mixers (including tonic water, ginger ale, soda water and bitter lemon) are included. Soda water differs from sparkling water because of the addition of sodium and its status as a mixer rather than a drink to be consumed on its own.
Adult soft drinks in the off-trade are provided as a separate segment and are not included in the market size under carbonated soft drinks. Both carbonated and still premium or adult soft drinks are included in the segment size.
“The shrinking population of key younger consumers, enduring concerns around sugar, and growing spotlight on single-use plastic waste pose challenges for the category going forward. The strong alcohol reduction trend meanwhile opens up new opportunities for CSDs to target. With few people seeing CSDs as a good alternative to alcoholic drinks, however, much depends on the industry’s efforts to more actively target this space.”
– Max Grünefeld, Food & Drink Analyst
This report examines the following issues:
- Flavour NPD is needed to sustain engagement
- Cooling and relaxing associations warrant attention as CSDs struggle on refreshing image
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.