Carpets and Floorcoverings - UK - May 2010
- Retailers of floorcoverings need to look beyond the product in isolation and market carpets as part of a complete home interiors look. One in ten adults pay a lot of attention to samples (‘Matchers’), so staff need to be able to advise customers accordingly, and showrooms need to develop an interior design feel to demonstrate the latest products more effectively.
- More imagination needs to be encouraged with rugs to make them one of the focal points of a room. Half of homes have laminate flooring and one in five real wood flooring, but consumers still have a strong desire for comfort and warmth, as well as the added style that rugs can provide.
- More links between flooring products and decorating ranges could be developed, particularly at DIY stores where stores and websites could combine the two to produce a complete home interiors look. Three in ten consumers only replace flooring if they are redecorating.
- With well-known brand names not being a major factor in determining choice, multiple retailers could assert their dominance in flooring. A link up with a major manufacturer could benefit both parties.
- More people might be encouraged to fit flooring themselves if they felt confident enough to do so. DIY stores could better demonstrate to customers how to fit flooring such as tiles or laminate flooring.
- The benefits of good flooring - lasting longer, better insulating the home and sound proofing - should be more strongly promoted. The savings in household energy bills by using thicker carpet and underlay could be easily demonstrated by suppliers.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.