Casinos (including Online) - UK - September 2010
This report assesses the Casinos industry’s recent responses to the challenges of new legislation and the recession and anticipates potential future trends and opportunities, by examining the hypothesis that “the normalisation of gambling as a mainstream leisure activity is creating an opportunity for both land-based and online casinos to increase their market share”.
- Growth in online casino gambling has compensated for a continued decline in land-based venues, with total casino expenditure in the UK expected to hit £1.15 billion in 2010 – up 2.7% on 2009.
- Admission growth has not translated into increased revenues, as new customers have tended to be more casual and lower spending in nature, particularly where table gaming is concerned.
- Fear of losing more than they can afford remains a real barrier preventing many people from visiting casinos. This is a particularly strong deterrent for women and younger consumers.
- Growth in the number of one-person households is driving up demand for online entertainment, including gambling, as well as creating a need for out-of-home socialising that venues like casinos can tap into.
- Current and potential casino visitors are more likely than lapsed visitors to be motivated to go to casinos by recommendations from friends and family. Word of mouth could therefore affect loyalty to particular casinos amongst current visitors, or help get potential players through the door.
- Extra entertainment and variety of games in casinos appeal most to the younger age groups within which casino visiting is already comparatively strong. However, elements of customer service and value for money are of particular importance to 25-44-year-olds – the age range within which consumers are most likely to lose the visiting habit.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.