Cat and Dog Food - UK - March 2010
- Despite the recession, the cat and dog food market has remained robust: in 2009, the market grew by 4% to reach £1.8 billion. By contrast, volume sales have remained fairly static, largely due to the switch from wet to dry food in the dog food market.
- Value growth has been driven by premiumisation and other trends crossing over from the human market, such as organic, natural and free-from products.
- Consumers are becoming more concerned with value for money. As a result, manufacturers are adding value to their mid-range brands by introducing new gourmet recipes and redesigning packaging.
- Manufacturers are cashing in on our desire to humanise our pets by developing products that mirror human tastes, such as the Winalot Roast dinner range, gravy for dry food, and recipes for cats that include ingredients such as Black Tiger Prawns.
- Pet obesity is rising with an estimated one in three household pets now overweight. Many owners feel their pets have the same emotional and physical needs as humans. The result? Overfeeding and under-exercising is commonplace.
- New developments in the US that are set to break into the UK market: restaurant-style dog meals such as Tuscan Style Stew with Braised Beef, celebrity chefs creating dog food ranges and the first national brand of refrigerated dog food.
- When choosing a pet food, 14% of pet owners opt for the highest quality available whereas 9% choose the cheapest available.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.