Cheese - US - October 2016
"Despite a slight downtick in dollar sales in 2016, the cheese category has performed well in recent years, boosted by consumer interest in natural foods, increased snacking occasions, and the perception that natural cheese can be part of a healthy diet. Natural cheese continues to set the pace for the category. Further innovation in more convenient forms and packaging could help cheese brands capture more eating occasions while sampling and education on pairing could encourage consumers to trade up to a wider range of premium cheeses."
- John Owen, Senior Food & Drink Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Solid growth slows temporarily on dairy price fluctuations
- Cheese consumption near universal
- Beyond sandwiches, a wide array of uses for natural cheese
This Report covers three main segments of cheese:
- Natural cheese: includes all forms (slices, blocks, chunks, cubes, crumbles, shredded), string cheese, and ricotta cheese. Cheeses in this segment are produced directly from milk or whey that has been coagulated, heated, drained, and pressed. It can include the addition of salt and/or flavorings.
- Processed cheese: includes cheese spreads in aerosol cans, squeezable tubes, cheese balls, cheese loafs, and other forms, and imitation cheese. Cheeses in this segment are typically a blend of cheeses that have been mixed and cooked and include additional ingredients such as cream, milk, water, or cheese whey.
- Cream cheese/cream cheese spreads: includes brick, soft, whipped, balls, and other forms; may be plain or flavored.
While most cheese is made from cow’s milk, cheeses made from goat’s milk and other dairy products, as well as non-dairy sources, such as soy milk, also are included.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.