Childrenswear - UK - January 2010
- In 2009, sales of childrenswear made a modest bounceback to £5 billion after falling in 2007 and 2008. The falls in recent years can be attributed to low-cost imports, the growth of low-price supermarkets and discounters, combined with the effects of the recent recession.
- The concept of value is well engrained in the childrenswear market. Twenty-five million people buy childrenswear from the supermarket – making them the leading outlet type for children’s clothing - 11.5m adults buy from Asda and 9.5m from Tesco. In addition, 8.5m adults buy their children’s schoolwear from supermarkets.
- Almost 13m people buy childrenswear from high street fashion stores. Next is the leading retailer in terms of value sales (11.5%) and has 8m childrenswear buyers.
- Because of the recession, almost 11m adults say they wait for the sales to buy childrenswear and 7.5m have traded down to less expensive stores. A significant 8.5m also buy just as replacement purchases. On a more positive note, 4.5m haven’t changed their childrenswear shopping habits at all.
- Internet shopping is a growth area with Mintel estimating that around 12% of childrenswear sales are made through this channel (an estimated £600 million). Many established retailers now operate online although discounters are noticeably absent. Four million adults buy children’s clothing on the internet.
- Ten million people enjoy the childrenswear shopping experience and 11m buy children’s clothing as a gift. Gift shopping is particularly important among older people, ie grandparents, although incomes are tight for many in this group.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.