Chocolate Confectionery - UK - May 2019
Covered in this report
This report examines the UK retail market for chocolate. The market size includes sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer. The market size comprises packaged chocolate confectionery products, including the following segments:
- Chocolate confectionery: This comprises all solid chocolate or chocolate-covered confectionery, including block chocolate up to 400g in weight, chocolate straight lines, chocolate-filled bars and chocolate confectionery variety packs not targeted for special occasions or gifting
- Chocolate assortments: This includes assortments, large bags, large boxes, tins and jars. The segment also includes a small portion of sales of non-chocolate items and excludes seasonal products
- Seasonal chocolate: This includes confectionery for seasonal occasions such as Christmas, Easter and Valentine’s Day. The segment also includes a small portion of sales of nonchocolate items
“Consumers’ preference for ‘less but better’ chocolate puts manufacturers in a difficult situation when it comes to making these treats healthier. The market is under pressure from the government, which is calling on treat categories to reduce sugar and calories. At the same time, most consumers are saying they do not want reduced sugar varieties. However, this mindset also opens up opportunities for premiumisation.”
– Amy Price, Senior Food & Drink Analyst
This report examines the following issues:
- Manufacturers face opposing demands regarding sugar reduction
- ‘Less but better’ trend is driving premiumisation in chocolate
- Ethical/environmental issues spark mixed reactions
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.