Chocolate Confectionery - US - March 2016
"Dollar sales of chocolate confectionery continued to grow in 2015, albeit at a tempered pace compared to previous years. The indulgence category has avoided steep losses, even as consumers place an increased importance on health."
- Beth Bloom, Food & Drink Analyst
This report covers the following issues:
- Pace of dollar sales growth slows
- More than a quarter of consumers are buying less chocolate than a year ago
- Snack size, gift box, sugar-free segments struggle
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
This Report covers chocolate confectionery products including those in bar, bag, and box form, and those sold year-round or seasonally for holidays. Primarily this includes chocolate that is sold in grocery outlets, such as supermarkets (conventional and natural), mass merchandisers, drug stores, and convenience stores. However, the Report also covers chocolate confectionery that is sold in specialty chocolate shops operated by Godiva, Lindt, and Ghirardelli.
For purposes of this Report, Mintel has segmented the chocolate confectionery market as follows:
- Bars/bags/boxes weighing 3.5 oz or more – excludes seasonal candies
- Bars/bags/boxes weighing less than 3.5 oz – includes novelty candies; excludes seasonal candies
- Seasonal – chocolate confections marketed for a specific holiday (eg, Halloween, Easter)
- Snack size – also known as fun size, sold in multicount bags/boxes
- Gift boxes – a variety of chocolates packaged in a box with most or all of the individual pieces presented unwrapped; excludes gift-boxed seasonal chocolates
- Sugar-free – chocolate confectionery sweetened with sugar alcohol or a sugar substitute.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.