Civil Engineering - UK - January 2016
“The recent reform of the Highways Agency, now known as Highways England, should give contractors the confidence they need to recruit and train skilled workers to deliver the growing number of transport projects over the coming years.”
– Claudia Preedy, B2B analyst
This report will explore the following key questions with regard to civil engineering construction in the UK:
- How have the individual sectors of the civil engineering market performed over the last five years?
- What is the impact of legislative and regulatory measures on civil engineering construction activity?
- How have the key players in the industry performed financially in recent years?
- What are the key drivers for growth over the next five years?
The definitions used in this report for the civil engineering sector are from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), which broadly defines the sector as constituting new infrastructure. There are a number of areas defined within this sector comprising both public and privately financed projects.
The sectors include the following:
- Water: The construction of reservoirs, purification plants, dams (except for hydro-electric schemes), aqueducts, wells, conduits, waterworks, pumping stations, water mains, hydraulic works, etc.
- Sewerage: Sewerage disposal works, the laying of sewers, and service drains.
- Electricity: Building and civil engineering work for electrical undertakings, such as power stations, dams and other works on hydro-electric schemes, sub stations, laying of cables, and the erection of overhead lines.
- Gas: Gas works, the laying of gas mains, and gas storage facilities.
- Communications: Post offices, sorting offices, telephone exchanges, switching centres, cables etc..
- Air: Air terminals, runways, hangars, reception halls, radar installations, perimeter fencing etc, which are for use in connection with airfields.
- Railways: Permanent way, tunnels, bridges, cuttings, stations, engine sheds, etc, and electrification of both surface and underground railways
- Harbours (including waterways): All works and buildings directly connected with harbours, wharves, docks, piers, jetties (including oil jetties), canals and water ways, dredging, sea walls, embankments and water defences.
- Roads: Roads, pavements, bridges, footpaths, lighting, tunnels, flyovers and fencing etc.
- Public Work: Work on any public authority, such as government departments, public utilities, nationalised industries, universities, the Post Office, new town corporations housing association etc.
- Private Work: Work done for a private owner, organisation, or developer, and includes work carried out by firms on their own initiative. It includes work where the private sector carries the majority of risk/gain. For example, in principle, all PFI contracts are considered private.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.