Clothing Retailing - Europe - November 2010
- The European clothing market was worth an estimated €301.4 billion (including VAT) in 2009.
- Compared to 2008, spending on clothing declined by 4% in 2009.
- As a discretionary area of spend, it comes as little surprise that clothing has been heavily impacted by the recessionary climate across Europe. Nevertheless, it has proved more resilient than other discretionary categories, such as furniture and electricals.
- In 2009 value growth was hampered by low inflation or even deflation, in many markets. Indeed in the UK price deflation was around 8% or more throughout the year.
- Germany is the largest clothing market in Europe, closely followed by Italy. However, the two markets differ in terms of structure and fashions and Italy remains one of the most fragmented markets in Western Europe despite the presence of international chains like H&M and Inditex.
- The UK is the next largest market although its value in the table was negatively impacted by sterling’s depreciation against the Euro in 2008 and again, albeit to a lesser extent, in 2009. In local currency terms sales grew by 1.3% in 2009 as shown in the chart after the table.
Mintel European Retail Intelligence provides independent, expert coverage of the major retail sectors throughout Europe. Each title in this series analyses retailing trends in up to 19 European markets, including the Scandinavian nations and Eastern European countries such as the Czech Republic and Poland as well as the major Western European markets.
The coverage provided by each report is as accurate, relevant and up-to-date as possible, combining in-house sector expertise with retailer performance data, taken directly from industry and trade sources.
With titles ranging from 'DIY Retailing in Europe' through to 'Food Retailing in Europe', each market examination includes studies of:
- background economic and demographic data
- market sizes
- regional retailing trends and issues
- market drivers
- consumer expenditure
- consumer trends
- leading pan-European retailers
- domestic retailers
- market forecasts
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.