Coffee Houses and Donut Shops - US - October 2011
Mintel’s Coffeehouses and Donut Shops—U.S. June 2011 estimates that overall on-premise sales at these establishments in the U.S. hit $25.5 billion in 2011, a 4.4% gain over 2010. Throughout 2011, some leading companies reported gains in part as a result of widespread changes that have been made to their offerings and promotional efforts. Dunkin’ Donut’s 2011 IPO as well as branding and positioning changes at Starbucks and Caribou Coffee signal a new era in the business in which companies are increasingly working to differentiate while keeping product development keenly focused on consumer demand for traditional as well as better-for-you (BFY) options.
This report explains many of these changes and provides detailed analysis of relevant consumer attitudes and behavior. The report addresses the following questions:
- How have sales fluctuated in recent years and how are they likely to change between 2011 and 2016?
- Which are the leading companies in the channel and what changes have these companies been making in the last year?
- How are macro-economic conditions and rising interest in BFY options impacting the strategies of leading companies and category sales?
- What types of new products have been introduced in recent years and how are companies leveraging innovation to drive sales?
- What types of foods and beverages are most commonly purchased within the channel and how does usage vary across demographic segments?
- What times of day do customers most often visit coffeehouses and donut shops and what are operators doing to encourage visitation during off hours?
- How do customers use coffeehouses and donut shops and which segments tend to spend the most money when they visit?
- What types of products would consumers like to see more of in the future?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.