Coffee - US - December 2009
As the nation responded to recessionary pressures in 2008 and 2009, millions of Americans engaged in subtle lifestyle changes in an effort to maintain a high standard of living, while reducing expenditures. Among the most common lifestyle change is the tendency to spend more time cooking and entertaining at home while spending less on eating and entertainment outside the home. While demand for coffee remains relatively strong, it is also clear that consumers have become more fickle and discerning. Therefore, it is critical that marketers and product developers carefully examine sales trends—as well as the attitudes and behaviors of various consumer segments—in order to ensure optimal messaging and product positioning. Doing so can make the difference between success and failure in today’s highly competitive market.
This report provides strategic insight for coffee manufacturers and distributors. More specifically, it addresses the following questions:
- How have retail sales of coffee fluctuated in recent years?
- What sub-categories (e.g., roasted, instant, RTD and additives) are performing best during recession and which have shown the largest declines in retail sales?
- Which retail channels are performing best during the recession?
- How have sales of organic and fair trade coffee fluctuated within the natural channel in recent years, and how are sales in that channel likely to change in the future?
- What are the key market drivers and how are trends impacting retail sales?
- What are the most successful brands of roasted coffee, instant coffee, RTD and additives in the U.S., and what is driving growth of these brands?
- How are leading companies marketing the most successful brands?
- What are the central themes of the campaigns being used to promote the most successful brands?
- What are the key elements of products that tend to sell well during the recession?
- How has usage within the US fluctuated in recent years?
- Which demographic and lifestyle segments tend to use the most coffee and which tend to use the least?
- How do attitudes about the health effects of consumption vary between various demographic groups?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.