Condiments - US - December 2016
"The large and mature condiments and dressing categories have generated little growth overall over the past five years, a trend that is not expected to change in the next five. Still, these diverse categories hold ample opportunity for brands and retailers that can activate consumer interest in exploring new tastes and cuisines and in eating fresher and healthier."
- John Owen, Senior Analyst, Food & Drink
This Report discusses the following key topics:
- Condiment sales turn slightly positive
- Dressings generate only modest growth
- High penetration limits growth potential for ketchup, mustard, mayo, dressing
- Consumers tend to stick to familiar condiments and dressings
For the purposes of this Report, condiments are defined as prepared sauces or spreads, requiring no preparation (including heating), used as a topping or accompaniment to prepared food. While variation exists, common use of these items is as a finishing topping or enhancement, not as a component in a recipe, and not necessarily considered to be eaten as a standalone item. The condiment should be understood to be an add-on, and not necessarily integral to the dish.
The products covered in this Report include:
- Pickles, olives, relish: pickles, olives, peppers/pimentos, relish/appetizer relish, marinated vegetables/fruits/egg, chutney
- “Other” condiments: steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun/hot sauce, Hollandaise/Béarnaise/dill sauce, tartar/cocktail/other seafood sauce, chili/hot dog sauce, horseradish and horseradish sauce
- Salad dressings
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.