Consumer Attitudes Toward Natural and Organic Food and Beverage - US - March 2010
While many sectors of the economy have been negatively impacted by the economic downturn, the natural/organic sectors of the food and beverage business (NOFB) have proven to be quite resilient. Most segments of the NOFB industry continued to experience growth throughout the economic downturn because many users have integrated the products into their lifestyles and define themselves, in part, as users of natural/organic products. In other words, usage is partly a function of seeking better health for themselves and the environment, but it is also a function of the fact that many make this choice as a lifestyle definer.
In order to explore the attitudes of NOFB users and gain a better understanding as to how these affect sales, Mintel addressed the following questions:
- What influence do the healthy eating and cooking at home trends have on demand for NOFB?
- How have obesity and sustainability trends impacted interest in NOFB?
- What types of products have market leaders developed to appeal to the attitudes and lifestyles of natural/organic users?
- To what extent has the recession driven users to “trade down” from name brands to private label, and to what extent have they been compelled to trade down from organic to natural?
- How widespread is interest in vegetarian and vegan foods among those who use natural/organic foods and beverages?
- How do attitudinal and behavioral trends in the natural/organic market compare to broader trends analyzed in Mintel’s American Lifestyles—US, January 2010?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.