Consumer Food Labelling - UK - January 2010
This report looks at awareness and importance of different food labels, as well as the understanding of them within the context of the changing nature of the overall food market in the UK.
- Highlighting domestic sourcing on labelling can put a brand or product on the radar of the 11.5 million consumers for whom this is an important factor when buying food.
- Clearer labelling has potential to unlock a market of 10.7 million people, who find food labelling systems confusing, and therefore struggle to make purchase decisions.
- Clearer, cleaner labelling can also help food brands find favour with older and more affluent shoppers, with 5 million consumers aged over 55 and 7.5 million people earning more than £50k a year believing that there is too much information on labelling.
- More people find food labelling systems confusing than those who find everything they need to know, leaving consumers struggling to make purchase decisions. A high level of confusion will also deter shoppers from generally using labels as a motivating factor in purchases, acting as a barrier to the communication of important messages from brand marketing to mandatory nutritional information.
- More people require more information on packaging than admit to being confused but what they do find, presenting an opportunity for brand to engage with their customers by offering assistance in interpreting the information on labelling.
- Greater information on artificial additives and hydrogenated fats would tap into the substantial pool of 16 million adults that are looking for free-from products.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.