Consumer Lifestyles: China's Grey Hairs - December 2012
“Chinese people who will be at retirement age on or before 2015 have been witness to massive social upheavals and change. In order to understand what shapes the way they behave as consumers, we need to first grasp the scope of the changes they have witnessed, and how these affect their lifestyle, place in society and planning for their futures.”
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How significant a consumer segment are the elderly to China’s domestic consumer economy, and how will that change?
- What are the major financial considerations that Chinese consumers have regarding retirement and old age, and how are they preparing their finances for when they retire?
- How important is home ownership as a means of security in old age, and how are retirees and those yet to retire planning to ensure they have a roof over their head in retirement?
- Keeping healthy and active is important to elderly people in China, but how are they going about doing this, and just how important is the health issue to them?
- What do retired people buy and what are the key factors determining what they buy?
- How are companies successfully marketing to elderly and retired Chinese people, and what more can be done?
Chinese people who will be at retirement age on or before 2015 have been witness to massive social change. Those who are older have lived through a period of history that has included foreign invasion, wars, famine, political anarchy and a shift from economic disaster to the situation now where China is currently forecast by The Economist to become the world’s largest national economy, as measured by GDP, by 2018.
Their lifestyles have leaped from real poverty to one where they are living in relative luxury. The Chinese are now able to own property, where property ownership used to be forbidden. They are able to own luxury products and private enterprises, having lived through times when owning such things could have landed them in prison, or worse. They are able to travel for leisure throughout China and to many overseas destinations that were previously denied to them.
In order to understand what shapes the way these people behave as consumers, we need to first grasp the scope of the changes they have witnessed, and how these affect the way they view their lives, their place in society and their planning for their futures.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.