Consumer Snacking - UK - June 2010
- Nine in ten British adults eat snacks between meals, nearly half of them on a daily basis. There are in total an estimated 13 billion at-home snacking occasions a year, and 6.4 billion occasions on the go.
- Tangible benefits are key for healthy snacks looking to attract women. Just over five million women see low fat content as important in snack choice, four million deeming low calories significant.
- Over-55s account for four billion at-home snacking occasions a year, far more than any other age group. They are the most likely group to place importance on snacks being convenient to eat, natural and high in fibre, making these key attributes for brands hoping to unlock this pool of demand.
- Top-end snacks could win favour as affordable luxuries offering a momentary escape from the recession mode for the 23 million snackers who do not see price as important in snack choice.
- Associating a snack brand with relaxation and positivity, whether through choice of ingredients, brand collaborations or interactive media, could appeal to the nearly five million women who snack when stressed.
- Nearly 15 million adults eat snacks when they are bored. Brands providing entertainment for example through on-pack or online content could win greater loyalty among this sizeable group.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.