Contract Cleaning (Industrial Report) - UK - April 2014
“Increasing industry professionalism, with better-trained, full-time staff, would raise margins across the board, but as yet the UK industry has not switched clients to daytime cleaning to the same extent as other European markets.”
– Ben Harris, Industrial Analyst
This report addresses the following key questions facing contract cleaning operators in the UK:
- How is the structure of the economy changing in terms of the type and number of workplaces?
- What will be the potential impact of the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s investigation into recruitment and employment practices in the contract cleaning industry?
- How is demand for contract cleaning services changing in light of trends in working practices and office usage?
- How much further are contract cleaning firms likely to diversify to improve revenues and profitability?
- How will changes to TUPE regulations, made in 2014, impact contract cleaning businesses?
For the purposes of this report, the contract cleaning market includes all aspects of commercial and industrial cleaning that are contracted out. This includes:
- The interior cleaning of offices, factories, retail outlets, multi-unit residential locations, leisure facilities and other public and private sector non-domestic buildings
- Window cleaning at sites listed above
- Industrial equipment cleaning, including furnaces, chimneys and boilers
- Cleaning of transport vehicles, including trains, buses and commercial
- Disinfecting and extermination services
As with many business-to-business services, there has been a diversification among contract cleaning organisations, making the sector increasingly difficult to define. Most notably, this includes the provision of facilities management services, but also areas such as equipment hire, linen hire and portering. However, this report analyses only the value of cleaning activities wherever possible.
All of the values quoted in this report are at current prices unless otherwise specified. Market values exclude VAT.
Some numbers in tables do not add exactly due to rounding.
The term billion refers to one thousand million.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.