Cooking Sauces, Marinades and Dressings - US - December 2013
“While significant percentages of respondents report that healthful product claims can persuade them to choose one brand of cooking sauce, marinade, dry seasoning mix, or dressing over another, they may not always sacrifice flavor for healthfulness, suggesting that BFY brands should emphasize taste over health claims when marketing.”
– John N. Frank, Food & Drink Reports
This report looks at the following areas:
- Can healthful product claims translate to more sales?
- Can marinades/sauces match the versatility of dressings?
- Can premium brands foster more usage?
The US cooking sauces, marinades, and dressings market has experienced steady growth between 2008 and 2013, driven by economic factors that have consumers cooking at home more often to save money, as well as by cooking trends, and is expected to continue increasing at this pace into 2018. However, the market faces competition from restaurants, as well as from prepared foods that come with sauce or is already marinated. This report focuses on these factors and provides analysis of the following:
- How the dry sauces segment leads the market and how the liquid sauces segment is outpacing all others
- The competitive landscape and how four top companies outsell the remaining leading players
- Innovations in the market that keep users interested and could help expand their product repertoires
- The marketing strategies of the leading brands
This report also features examination of the results of Mintel’s exclusive consumer survey, focusing on usage, the influence of product claims, consumers’ preferred flavors, and motivations to purchase; as well as analysis of Experian Marketing Services’ national consumer survey.
For the purposes of this report, cooking sauces, marinades, and dressings are covered as per the following definitions:
Cooking sauces and marinades are defined as flavoring sauces or mixes that can be poured or brushed onto food before or during meal preparation. Products included in this report range from prepared bottled marinades and barbecue sauce to packaged seasoning mixes for chili and gravy.
For the purposes of this report, the market is segmented as follows:
- Dry sauces and rubs: dry meat/seafood seasoning mixes; dry sauce mixes; all other dry seasoning mixes; other seasonings and spices, excluding salt and pepper
- Liquid sauces: meat sauce/marinade/glaze; refrigerated meat and seafood seasoning mixes; refrigerated sauce/gravy/marinade mixes; barbecue sauce
- Salad dressings: shelf-stable and refrigerated pourable salad dressings; shelf-stable coleslaw dressing; salad dressing mixes
This definition differs from Cooking Sauces and Marinades—US, April 2011 due to the exclusion of several categories (ethnic sauces, steak/Worcestershire sauces, gravy) and the addition of spices/seasonings and dressings.
Excluded from this report are condiments such as ketchup and mustard and sauces typically used at the table, such as steak/Worcestershire sauce, gravy, tartar/seafood sauce, hot/Cajun sauce, and horseradish sauce. Also excluded are hollandaise and cheese sauces.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.