Cooking Sauces - UK - December 2010
Estimated to reach £833 million in 2010, the cooking sauces market has experienced sales growth of 31% between 2005 and 2010. Around three quarters of consumer use cooking sauces, with cook-in sauces the most popular, used by four fifths of consumers over the past 12 months. Innovation has focused on flavours and formats, accommodating changing consumer needs and tastes. Such NPD has encouraged consumers to add to their repertoire of sauces and increase usage occasions.
- An increase in home cooking and flavour and format innovation has brought more users to the cooking sauces category, driving growth to £806 million in 2009. With 24-35-year-olds the key users of cooking sauces, the future growth of this segment of the population bodes well for the market.
- One way in which brands can continue to drive consumption is by positioning cooking sauces as a cheaper and healthier alternative to a takeaway. Almost three in four (74%) of consumers agree that cooking sauces are a cheaper option, while over half (52%) agree that they are a healthier choice.
- Advertising that promotes new varieties or recipe suggestions should be aimed at female consumers, who are the most likely to enjoy experimenting with new flavours of cooking sauces.
- Salt content is a key a concern for two fifths (41%) of consumers, especially those aged 55+. Lower salt varieties or reductions in salt, as seen with Jamie Oliver’s range, could be more widely adopted by the major players in order to appeal to this group.
- Brands and manufacturers are seeking to cater for the forecast rise in one-person households by introducing smaller and one serve formats. With penetration lower among smaller households, this is helping to both introduce new consumers to the category and meet these consumers’ ongoing needs.
- Lack of time is a barrier to cooking from scratch for many consumers and these consumers would respond well to products and campaigns that highlight the time saved by using a cooking sauce, while not comprising on the quality of the finished dish.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.