Cookware - US - September 2009
Estimated at $3.0 billion in 2009, the cookware, bakeware and cutlery market has seen sales fall in 2008-2009. Plummeting housing sales and falling consumer confidence have led Americans to cut back on new kitchen products, especially high-end purchases. However, economizing Americans have also been increasing at-home cooking, which counters the downturn, and opened opportunities for suppliers and retailers to reach out to new consumers. This report examines overall sales data and trends for the market as a whole, for its four major retail segments and through major retail channels. It analyzes how the market has been shaped by the downturn, changes in consumer behavior, green trends, consumer concerns about the safety of non-stick cooking surfaces, the proliferation of celebrity chefs and broader demographic changes. It profiles major suppliers, focusing on overall branding strategies as well as new product introductions and innovations. It examines changes in the retail market, including analysis of how mass merchandisers, department stores and other retailers have been adjusting to the downturn. It provides insight into areas of future growth.
Research embraces the specific type of products purchased, brands purchased and retailer preferences, as well as exploring consumer attitudes and behaviors, including:
- Which groups have been acquiring the most cookware/bakeware/cutlery in the past two years?
- What types of products, brands and retailers are favored by different consumer groups?
- What products are most often first time purchases, replacements or gifts?
- How has the downturn affected the consumer behavior of different groups in terms of cooking and eating at home? Which groups are most likely to report eating at home?
- Which consumer groups are most likely to be cooking from scratch, and which are seeking the quickest, easiest at-home meal preparation?
- What types of cooking—baking, grilling, stove-top cooking, frying, etc.—are different consumer groups doing more of?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.