Cordials and Squashes - UK - April 2016
“Health and naturalness will remain important sales drivers in the market in the coming years. Innovating with plant-derived sweeteners and using the ‘no added sugar’ claim should be an effective way for brands to promote their health credentials.”
– Chris Wisson, Senior Drinks Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Driving further growth of the super-concentrates segment
- Improving understanding of sugar and sweeteners could be beneficial
- Appealing to households’ different flavour and functional preferences
Along with other soft drinks, squashes and cordials are also under the spotlight with regards to their sugar content. ‘No added sugar’ variants have become common, with many brands reformulating their drinks to make them healthier and to keep on the right side of both the government but also retailers such as Tesco. The use of sugar and sweeteners is likely to remain a key industry issue in the coming years.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has defined the market for squashes and cordials in the following two ways:
- A standard squash is typically a drink requiring dilution in the ratio one part concentrate to four parts water, whereas a double concentrate dilutes in a one-to-eight ratio.
- Cordials tend to have a thicker consistency than squashes and require more water to dilute, typically with a ratio of one to 10. They tend to contain no preservatives, and often require chilled storage once opened. Brands include Bottlegreen and Belvoir.
However, this Report analyses squashes/cordials together, across the UK market, which is divided into two main channels:
- Take-home includes sales through all supermarkets/shops where the cordial/squash is bought concentrated and has to be diluted to taste off-premise.
- On-premise refers to when squash/cordial is bought diluted ready to drink at pubs, bars and restaurants/cafés.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.