Cordials and Squashes - UK - April 2019
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- A standard squash is typically a drink requiring dilution in the ratio one part concentrate to four parts water, whereas a double-concentrate typically dilutes in a one-to-nine ratio.
- Cordials tend to have a thicker consistency than squashes and require more water to dilute, typically with a ratio of one to 10. They tend to contain no preservatives, and often require chilled storage once opened. Brands include Bottlegreen and Belvoir.
However, the report analyses squashes/cordials together, across the UK market, which is divided into two main channels:
- Retail includes sales through all supermarkets/shops where the cordial/squash is bought concentrated and has to be diluted to taste off-premise.
- On-premise refers to when squash/cordial is bought diluted ready to drink at pubs, bars and restaurants/cafés.
“The 2018 summer heatwave was a boon for cordials and squashes that saw growth return following five years of decline. However, sales in this traditionally family-oriented category have also been lifted by the strong performance of new adult-oriented options that offer more sophisticated flavour profiles. Meanwhile, British fruit can be explored both to tap into patriotic sentiments and to forge a point of difference from the rest of the category.”
– Anita Winther, Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Alcohol reduction trend is an opportunity for cordials and squashes
- The category has a strong green image it can leverage
- Scope to use British fruits to forge point of difference
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.