Cosmetic Surgery - UK - June 2010
- Between 2008 and 2010, the UK market for cosmetic surgery is estimated to have grown by 17% to reach an estimated worth of £2.3 billion. Non-surgical procedures are estimated to account for more than 90% of all procedures and for almost three quarters of revenues in 2010.
- Cosmetic surgery is a last resort for fixing aspects of people’s appearance that they don’t like. People are more likely to try exercising, using beauty treatments and wearing figure-enhancing clothing before going under the knife.
- British adults love their bodies. Almost all adults (96%) can find at least one feature that they like and more than four in ten like nine or more parts of their bodies. However, women are the least satisfied with the way they look. As a result, women more likely to have or want cosmetic surgery.
- The proportion of teens who would consider having cosmetic surgery has risen sharply. The attitudes of today’s teenagers could benefit the market for cosmetic surgery in the future.
- The UK cosmetic surgery industry is underpinned by a minority of adults with just 2% of women and 1% of men ever having had cosmetic surgery. But an estimated 19 million adults (48%) would like to have some form of cosmetic surgery. Converting this group into patients will be the challenge for the industry to fulfil growth potential.
- Surgery is more appealing to younger adults: almost six in ten 16-24-year-olds would like surgery compared to just three in ten over-55-year-olds. Older adults are more accepting of the faults in their appearance and are less likely to have had surgery or to consider having surgery.
- Expense remains the single biggest deterrent to undergoing cosmetic surgery, putting off almost six in ten adults. The fact that surgery isn’t always permanent also reduces the perceived value for money of treatments.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.