Cruises - US - November 2010
The cruise industry appears to be somewhat more resilient to recessionary pressures than some other segments of the travel industry, such as the lodging sector. However, like many other industries, some companies reported significant declines in 2008 and 2009 but performance is improving in 2010.
While the current economic and geopolitical environment poses many challenges to cruise firms, there are growth opportunities for companies that are keenly focused on the wants and needs of consumers. As such, Mintel has prepared this comprehensive report of the cruise market in North America with a focus on consumer data and insights that can be leveraged to create effective communications and offerings with widespread appeal to those in high and moderate demand segments. More specifically, this report addresses the following questions:
- How are demographic and macro-economic trends impacting the industry and how have events such as the H1N1 outbreak in Mexico and the BP oil spill in the Gulf region impacted sales?
- What segments of the population are most likely to have taken a cruise in the last three years and which have large numbers of consumers planning to take a cruise in the next 12 months?
- What are the most popular cruise destinations in North America and which are becoming less popular?
- What are the leading cruise companies and how are they marketing their products?
- What companies are bringing new ships online and what is unique about these vessels?
- What factors are most likely to motivate one to take a cruise?
- What are the most common reasons cited for not taking a cruise?
- How do consumers typically book cruise travel?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.