Dark Spirits - US - October 2014
“Dark spirits, whiskey in particular, have managed to grow sales fairly strongly in recent years, yet they remain far from routine in consumers’ alcohol-consumption routines. Flavor innovation is drawing the interest of some consumers, but such efforts may be overshadowed by the rush of RTD alcoholic beverages.”
– William Roberts, Jr., Senior Food and Drink Analyst
This report covers the following issues:
- Dark spirits remain a niche product, consumed by roughly half of adults
- Building dark spirits brand awareness among young adults
- Can brandy, cognac, and Armagnac escape the shadow of whiskey and establish a niche of loyal consumers?
White spirits continue to maintain a steady rate of growth, but its pace overall has slowed with the drop in growth rates within the vodka segment. Flavored vodkas served to draw consumer attention to the category, but with a slowdown in the rate of introductions of flavored vodkas has come a slowdown in the category as a whole.
Manufacturers will have to capitalize on consumer interest in the strengths of white spirits, particularly in the area of crafting cocktails and mixed drinks, as well as from increased awareness of cocktails in general stemming from their appearances in high-profile television shows.
This report includes white spirits sold for home preparation and/or consumption. The following types of white spirits are analyzed:
- Rum, including dark, aged, and/or spiced rum
This report excludes the following categories, which are covered in Mintel’s Dark Spirits -- US, October 2014:
- Whiskey/whisky, which includes the following subsegments:
- Canadian whisky
- Straight American whiskey, including bourbon and unaged white whiskey (also known as moonshine; the report covers legally sold, unaged white whiskey marketed as moonshine, not the illegally made varieties often associated with the term in various regions of the US).
- Scotch whisky
- Blended American whiskey
- Irish whiskey
- Brandy and cognac, as well as Armagnac
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.