Desktop and Laptop Computers - China - August 2014
“Over the past few decades, desktop and laptop computers have become essential both for business and personal use. However the rise of mobile devices, in particular tablets and smartphones, has posed a serious threat to these ‘traditional’ forms of personal computers. The demand for portability is the biggest threat to desktop and laptop computers’ long-term development.
In future, desktop computers will become a niche segment, while laptops will continue to evolve with improved functionality and innovations in form factor, as has been seen with convertible and hybrid laptops. Tablets and smartphones will likely remain important supplementary devices rather than replacing desktop and laptop computers completely.”
- Can Huang, Senior Research Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What are the current usage patterns of desktop and laptop computers in China?
- Are consumers still enthusiastic to purchase desktop and laptop computers in future?
- What are the key deciding factors influencing consumers’ buying behaviour?
- Is there still a future for desktop computers?
- How should laptop manufacturers react to the emergence of tablet computers?
In today’s competitive landscape, PC brands and companies need to consider the whole package – not only software and hardware, but also content and services – in order to stand out from the competition.
Deaktop and Laptop Computers-Trends
- While tablets and smartphones are increasingly stealing the limelight, offering high-powered configurations could be a way for manufacturers to lure consumers back to desktops and laptops, in particular gamers, designers, and musicians, who require more powerful processors and graphics capabilities.
- As usage has increased, people have become more savvy users and their demands when it comes to PCs have diversified. It is for this reason that customisation has been a persistent feature of the PC market.
- One key way for brands to offer greater integration is through cloud storage and sharing services that provide consumers with the convenience of accessing data at any time and place. This is part of the trend from local to online storage.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.