Digestive Health - US - August 2019
Covered in this report
This report focuses on products marketed for digestive health or digestive relief that are available OTC/without an Rx (prescription). For the purposes of this report, the digestive health market has been segmented as follows:
- Antacids: Products that neutralize excess stomach acid and relieve heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion. These include:
- PPIs (proton pump inhibitors): Products that reduce the production of acid by blocking the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid
- H2 blockers: Products that reduce or inhibit the secretion of gastric acid by binding competitively with histamine to H2 receptors on cell membranes
- Antiflatulents: Products that help reduce gas buildup and its associated discomfort
- Laxatives: Products that relieve constipation and work in one of several ways: by introducing fiber to the bowel, stimulating the bowel, or softening stools
- Stomach remedies and antidiarrheals: Products that relieve general nausea and settle the stomach and products that slow spasms of the intestine and thicken stool
"The digestive health market has exceeded expectations, with US retail sales estimated to reach more than $5.1 billion in 2019. Previously, the category was supported by Rx-to-OTC conversions in the antacid segment, boosting sales dramatically in 2015. Since then, growth had stabilized and was predicted to flat line. However, new product innovations, refreshed marketing strategies and rehydration claims are bringing success to the once stagnating market."
- Andrea Wroble, Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Digestive health symptoms are infrequent
- Value-oriented consumers choose store brands
- Holistic approach to health challenges use of OTC products
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.