Digital Trends - China - June 2014
“PCs and mobile phones are leading consumer technology product segments with high product ownership. Both segments are mature in terms of penetration, and volume growth for these categories is mainly driven by replacement and upgrades. PCs and mobile phones are also much more important to young people in their 20s. This uncovers an important implication of shifting lifestyles – young people are moving away from TV screens."
– Can Huang, Senior Research Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What are the usage patterns across different consumer technology products?
- Who are the winners and losers in this dynamic digital technology landscape?
- How do consumers behave differently in terms of their online engagement?
- How will shifting consumer behaviour and emerging digital trends affecting traditional businesses?
- How effective is online and mobile advertising, and what should brands and companies learn from current practices?
This report examines trends in consumer technology and online behaviour in China. This is the second report in the Digital Trends China series, building on Mintel’s Digital Trends – China – June 2013. Three main areas covered in this report are technology product ownership and usage, online activity dynamics, and digital advertising.
Personal computers, mobile phones, televisions, home entertainment devices, cameras, and portable media players are the major types of consumer technology products covered by this report.
- PCs are categorised into three formats: desktop, laptop, and tablet.
- The mobile phone market in China covers 2G, 3G and 4G and other mobile phone handsets. Both non-smartphones – which covers basic mobile phones and feature phones – and smartphones are included.
- The definition covers stand definition TVs and several major technology developments, including High Definition Television (HDTV) and Smart TV.
- This segment includes DVD players and Blu-ray players.
- Point-and-shoot digital camera (P&S), Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera (both digital and film), and video camera are all included.
- These are defined as consumer electronic devices that are capable of storing and playing digital media files such as music, video, and photos. It is primarily for on-the-go and outdoor personal usage. Even though a mobile phone normally carries all of these functions, it is classified separately.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.