Digital Trends Summer - UK - June 2010
As the UK moves back towards economic recovery after the downturn, Mintel looks at how the online marketplace is changing, analysing the sites UK internet users browse and use to shop. In many ways, this is likely to be invigorated by the new ‘must have’ gadgets that have recently launched on the market, including Apple’s iPad and iPhone 4G. This report will assess the potential demand for these more advanced, but expensive gadgets, and evaluate how these will affect the way internet users surf and shop on the move.
- PS3 and Xbox 360 ownership has stagnated, standing at 11% and 19% respectively. However, both are expected to launch motion control systems (Move and Kinect) in the run-up to Christmas 2010, which will boost ownership.
- The range of gadgets owned directly influencing the likelihood of internet users doing everything from streaming video to banking online. This is partly because the heaviest gadget owners are more likely to be younger (29% of 15-24-year-olds own ten or more devices).
- The Apple iPhone 4G is likely to have a halo effect on consumer demand for smartphones, ownership of which currently stands at 25% of internet users. An additional benefit is that it will force rivals to cut prices and innovate faster.
- The most technologically sophisticated segment of internet users – the young – were the least likely to have shopped from eight or more sites in the last three months. This is partly due to increasing penetration of broadband access amongst older consumers.
- Auction sites are dominated by eBay, which attracted 22.7 million unique internet users in April 2010. However, new social shopping initiatives, such as Shoply, could provide a viable alternative, leveraging the high amounts of traffic on sites such as Facebook.
- Research for this quarter showed that ownership of HD-ready televisions has not increased compared to the previous quarter (currently 53% of internet users). This comes despite the World Cup, which has traditionally been seen as a boost for new TV sales.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.