Dining Out: The Restaurant Decision-Making Process - US - July 2014
“The US restaurant industry is so large and mature that it’s increasingly difficult to carve out opportunities for growth. Operators must focus on differentiation, not only with menus but overall positioning. The answer may lie in even greater customization, with tailored restaurant concepts for niche audiences and for different day parts. They need to know who their core customer is and create an entire environment just for them.”
– Julia Gallo-Torres, Category Manager - Foodservice Reports
In this report, Mintel will specifically answer the following questions;
- What types of restaurants are consumers visiting? How much do they spend at limited-service restaurants (LSRs) versus full-service restaurants (FSRs)? Do they prefer dining in or ordering food via drive-thru, takeout, or delivery?
- Do consumers change their behaviors when choosing a restaurant for everyday usage as opposed to special occasions? If so, how different are behaviors between light and heavy restaurant-goers?
- Other than good prices, food, and service, what do consumers want to see at restaurants? And what deters them from eating out?
- How do consumers learn about restaurants that are new to them? And how influential is social media and referrals in the restaurant selection process?
- What kinds of menu characteristics and options do diners find attractive?
- What matters most to consumers when it comes to trying a restaurant for the first time?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.