Dishwashing Detergents - UK - April 2011
The most important factor that will drive growth in sales of dishwasher detergents is increasing ownership of dishwashers in UK homes. Between 2006 and 2010 the proportion of households owning dishwashers increased steadily from 34% in 2006 to 37% in 2010. This is the equivalent of an additional 1 million appliances that need dishwasher detergent.
- Penetration of dishwashers in the UK is still low in terms of comparison with other European countries, with 77% of adults owning a dishwasher in Germany and 52% in France compared with 42% in Britain. A big opportunity therefore exists to drive continued growth in the proportion of homes owning a dishwasher and buying dishwasher detergents.
- The biggest criticism of dishwashers relates to washing up pans, with 57% of dishwasher users thinking pans wash up better by hand. This suggests a need for brands to demonstrate better product performance in this area in order to improve satisfaction among existing users and convince more non-users that dishwashers can meet all their washing-up requirements.
- Manufacturers of dishwashing detergents appear to be attaching more importance to environmental issues than consumers. Few people pay attention to product ingredients when shopping for washing-up liquid (6%) or dishwasher detergent (7%), but the running costs of dishwashers are a concern (42%), so green initiatives need to focus on saving shoppers money.
- The leading two brands of Fairy (Procter & Gamble) and Finish (Reckitt Benckiser) stand out strongly in terms of trust and differentiation. Through a constant stream of innovation and heavy marketing they also have personality and such positive associations give these brands plenty of mileage for further increasing sales, including leveraging brand loyalty in new areas.
- The influence of special offers is greater for dishwasher detergents than washing-up liquids. Some 51% of purchasers of dishwasher detergent will stock up when a leading brand is on special offer compared with 41% for washing-up liquids. During the incomes squeeze promotions will be crucial to driving the trial of new product launches.
- The boundaries between household and personal care are blurring. In terms of product benefits other than cleaning performance, one in four adults like to try washing-up liquids in different fragrances (13 million), while one in five (11 million) buy anti-bacterial washing-up liquids and one in seven (7 million) use washing-up liquid that is kinder to the hands.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.