Domestic Beer - US - November 2009
Heightened public awareness of the overweight/obesity epidemic in the US has helped to evolve the domestic light beer segment. The light beer segment reached a 60.8% share of total domestic beer volume sales with 4.4% growth from 2007-08. Meanwhile, the super premium and craft beer segment is the fastest growing domestic beer segment with a 13.6% increase in volume sales from 2007-08.
This report provides an in-depth examination of the domestic beer market for industry retailers, distributors, and marketers interested in pursuing opportunities to innovate trends within segments and to evaluate the competition. Sales and analysis covers six beer segments: light beer, premium beer, popular or sub-premium beer, super-premium/craft beer, ice beer, and malt liquor. Specific questions that are answered in this report include, but are not limited to, the following:
- How have consolidations among leading beer companies in 2007-08 impacted segment share, brand share, and the competition
- Are small breweries holding their ground in the share-grab in the growing super-premium and craft segment
- What are the product innovations and latest product claims in the competitive US and global markets
- How is the economy affecting consumer beer purchases and segment growth and who can benefit from the shifts? Who are the best consumer targets for specific segments and brands
- Can the current economy support the variety of beers in the marketplace? Is it time to manage assortment to only the strongest segments and brands to maximize profit
- Which brands are innovating segments, and how can others learn from their success
- Will the increase in material and production costs mean higher beer prices and how will this impact consumer choice
- Will increased public awareness of pervasive overweight and obesity in the US continue to impact the growth of some, and decline of other, segments
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.