Domestic Tourism - UK - September 2011
“The UK tourism industry has benefited considerably from the collective tightening of purse-strings by households up and down the country, with the result that during the recession, more domestic holidays than ever before were taken.”
– Michael Oliver, Senior Leisure & Media Analyst
This report examines holidays taken in the UK by UK residents. These must constitute a stay of at least one night and do not include business trips, visits to stay with friends and relatives or stays solely for events such as weddings or funerals.
An adult, for the purposes of Mintel’s research, is anyone aged 16 or over.
The standard travel and tourism definitions used in the terminology of this report are as follows:
- tourism is any travel, which involves an overnight stay away from home.
- a holiday is a subjectively defined form of tourism, as defined by the tourist in response to surveys such as IPS, GBTS or UKTS. A holiday can be distinguished from other leisure travel such as visits to friends and relatives (VFR) or shopping trips.
- a long holiday is a holiday of four nights or more away from home; a short break is a holiday that involves one to three nights away from home.
- short-haul refers to air holidays within Europe, dominated by flights to Mediterranean resorts but including the Canary Islands, which are treated as a part of the Spanish market. Long-haul, therefore, refers to holidays outside Europe.
- an inclusive tour, or package holiday, is defined as the simultaneous sale of at least two elements of a holiday to the traveller: fares on public transport (eg flights) and commercial accommodation (eg hotel or self-catering apartment). Other elements, such as meals or excursions, are not essential to the definition of an inclusive tour. The term ‘all-inclusive’ is used to describe a special type of resort holiday in which food, drink, excursions and other services are provided as part of the total holiday cost.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.