Domestic vs Overseas Tourism - Ireland - January 2012
With money being tighter than ever for Irish consumers, the decision to take a holiday is not made lightly. Consumers are more likely to be scaling back the amount of trips they take per year, while also being more inclined to consider a domestic break, as opposed to travelling abroad for a holiday.
This report reviews the performance of NI and RoI’s domestic tourism market compared to the performance of overseas tourism, highlighting how Irish consumers are changing their tourism habits.
Some questions answered in the report include:
- How frequently are Irish consumers taking holidays? – How many trips per year does the average Irish consumer take? How much do they spend on average per trip?
- What are the key destinations for those travelling overseas? – Which tourism destinations attract the most NI and RoI consumers? Why do they appeal to Irish consumers and how can domestic tourist spots compete?
- Air travel habits – How often do Irish consumers travel via planes when taking a holiday, and what factors are important to them when deciding on an air carrier?` How important is cost in determining choice of flights?`
- What are the main sources of information when choosing a domestic or overseas holiday? – With the internet being the preferred source of information among Irish consumers, how has this impacted on traditional sources? In what new innovative ways are consumers using the internet to gather information and plan their holidays?
- How important has the recession been to domestic tourism? – What benefits has the recession had for domestic tourism in Ireland? What have been the drawbacks? Has greater exposure to domestic tourism weakened the desire to travel abroad among Irish consumers?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.