Emerging Restaurant Concepts - US - December 2010
Is it over yet? That’s the question about the “Great Recession” being asked by consumers and businesses. Few are as hopeful that the economy has righted itself as are restaurateurs. Higher unemployment, lower disposable income and shaky consumer confidence meant Americans dined out less often and spent less than they did prior to the recession. Restaurants adjusted menus, pricing, service styles or whatever was necessary to survive.
In this report, Mintel provides analysis and insight on the recession’s impact on dining habits and restaurant operations. It examines what we eat, when we eat, and where we eat and offers a look at how restaurants may change in the coming years. This report is meant to answer the following questions:
- Which age and income groups are returning to restaurants first? Which types of restaurants will that benefit most?
- How will efforts by governments at all levels to more strictly control menus and restaurant operations affect what we eat? Will consumers applaud or resist such legislative mandates?
- Will diners’ professed interest in eating healthier significantly influence menu development?
- What impact will consumer interest in local food sourcing, sustainable farming, and “green” operations practices have on future restaurant development?
- Will marketing’s social media revolution bring better and closer communication between restaurants and diners, or will it devolve into another one-way tool?
This report also includes insight from the following:
- Mintel Oxygen, which offers foodservice analyst expertise and a dedicated report series
- Mintel Inspire, a unique tool that reveals daily influences on brands and people, and helps generate ideas about trend direction
- Mintel Menu Insights, which provides flavor, ingredient, preparation and price trend analysis, drawing from the largest 350 chain restaurants, as well as 150 independent restaurants, 50 restaurants run by top chefs, and 25 beverage-focused restaurants
- Custom consumer research on consumer attitudes relevant to topics analyzed in the report
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.