Evening Dining - UK - November 2009
- Two-thirds of adults cook their evening meal from scratch. However, most draw upon a repertoire of meal options that includes take-aways and ready meals.
- Manufacturers and retailers of convenience foods are failing to attract their share of older shoppers, with this group preferring to cook their evening meals from scratch.
- Consumers who typically eat ready meals and takeaways in the evening are more likely to eat a larger meal at lunchtime and to work irregular hours. But this group spends more time cooking at the weekend: manufacturers and retailers could target this group by offering meal kits and promotions based around popular takeaway dishes to encourage them to cook more.
- One in three men claims to do all the cooking, something not reflected by the media, food promotions or packaging.
- Increasing numbers of single person households and older consumers present opportunities for both the food industry and public health bodies to stimulate their interest in food and cooking.
- Men are more likely than women to eat out suggesting that it is a direct substitute for home cooking, an area where women remain more involved.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.