Facilities Management (Industrial Report) - UK - June 2014
“The industry is anticipating a bright year in 2014, with the economic recovery looking increasingly secure. The outlook for construction is positive and major infrastructure projects are expected to offer new soft and hard service opportunities.”
– Ben Harris, Industrial Analyst
This report addresses the following key questions facing facilities management operators in the UK:
- How is technology impacting the facilities management industry and what effect will it have over the coming years?
- To what extent is public sector demand for facilities management likely to be affected by reduced public sector expenditure and legislative changes in 2014?
- Will the level of merger and acquisition activity seen in recent years be repeated in 2014 and 2015?
- Will growth in total facilities management contracts grow ahead of single or other multiple service bundles over the next five years?
- What sectors are likely to generate the greatest demand for facilities management services in the short term?
For the purpose of this report, the potential facilities management market includes work that is contracted to third parties, including total facilities management (TFM) contracts, and the value of projects undertaken in-house.
The market is segmented into the following sectors:
- TFM, where the full responsibility for undertaking and organising facilities management services is contracted to a third party company who undertakes the work or sub-contracts the work to other companies
- Contracted out projects, where ancillary services are contracted out to third party companies on an individual contract basis. This allows the client company to retain strategic control over facilities management and budgeting. The value for contracted out services stated in this report includes contracts by single service providers and facilities management companies
- Internal projects, where ancillary services are undertaken by in-house staff. These non-core activities represent the remainder of the potential market for facilities management companies
The value of the market includes manpower costs, operational management and strategic management including services, consultancy and training.
The sector includes a broad range of ancillary services provided by single service contractors and facilities management companies. These can be split into soft facilities management and hard facilities management services. The former group include activities that support the operation of a facility, such as:
- Security services
- Cleaning services
- Catering services
- Postal services
- Secretarial services
Hard facilities management services refer to activities that support the maintenance of a facility, such as:
- Gardening and landscaping
- Building fabric maintenance
- Lift and escalator maintenance
- Building design
- Plant replacement
- Construction management
- Energy and environmental management
With such a high level of industry fragmentation it is not possible to review all the companies in a report of this type. This report is not a directory of industry participants and the company profiles provide a synopsis of some of the operators. They are selected as being representative of a cross sample of operator rather than necessarily the largest industry participants.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.