Family Leisure - UK - December 2009
This report provides an overview of trends in family leisure, investigating the core market factors, strengths and weaknesses, consumer dynamics, and product trends.
- Family commitments have forced six in ten parents of under-16s to give up favourite hobbies, highlighting a market of more than eight million people that leisure operators should be doing more to tap into.
- Pent-up demand exists for activities that have been identified by consumers as enjoyable but not convenient to do as a family, such as pub drinking, live entertainment, sport or exercise and shopping. By contrast, the most ‘family-friendly’ activities include visiting friends and relations, eating out and watching movies either at the cinema or at home.
- Family leisure does not appear to be ‘dumbing down’: visiting cultural venues is seen as a family-friendly activity by almost half of all families, ahead of looking around the shops. Theatre, museum and gallery visiting numbers are all increasing.
- By far, the most important factor for families when choosing leisure activities is the availability of offers and discounts: even half of more affluent families (those on household incomes over £50,000) cite this as a prime motivation.
- A rapidly growing 65+ year old population is also playing an increasingly important role in family life. One-third of families with working mothers now rely on grandparents for childcare. Consequently, demand is growing for grandparent/grandchildren and multi-generational family leisure.
- Key concerns for parents when choosing leisure venues include family offers and discounts, parking facilities, security and safety for the children. But pester power, ie where the children say they want to go, also plays an important role.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.