Fast Casual Restaurants - US - August 2010
The fast-casual restaurant segment of the $580 billion foodservice industry is a tribute to the American desire to find middle ground, a hybrid that seeks to keep the best of both fast food and casual dining restaurants, while still being its own very contemporary niche. Fast casual recognizes that service speed still is important, while also believing that product quality is key and never should be compromised. Fast casual caters to consumers who grew up dining away from home often and who still want the convenience that a restaurant offers but at as modest a price as possible. Fast casual exists because it meets consumer demands about food quality, service and atmosphere. But while some of its largest concepts have fared well, the category overall has been hampered by the same recessionary factors slowing the industry as a whole.
This report seeks to give a state-of-the-category overview of what fast casual is about and includes the following insights:
- Sales data, used to estimate annual revenue for each of the leading 23 fast casual chains, a market size and forecast and segment trending.
- Consumer analysis gleaned from exclusive Mintel research, which is placed not only in themed consumer-specific sections, but also woven throughout the report. From these survey results, a host of custom groups has been created, analysis of which is sprinkled throughout the report.
- Mintel Menu Insights, which provides flavor, ingredient, preparation and price trend analysis, drawing from the largest 350 chain restaurants, as well as 150 independent restaurants, 50 restaurants run by top chefs, and 25 beverage-focused restaurants.
- Experian Mosaic USA, which classifies all U.S. households and neighborhoods into 60 unique Mosaic types within 12 groupings that share similar demographic and socio-economic characteristics.
- Mintel also compares both the Experian Simmons National Consumer Survey and custom consumer historical data in this report to assess trends over time.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.