Female Motorist (The) - UK - May 2010
This report identifies the level of car ownership among women, the different aspects of female car ownership, how often they buy cars, how they use them and what they want from cars and the benefits that they seek.
- Women place a much greater emphasis than men on purchase price, reliability and safety when choosing a car and this influences their choice of car brands with Ford, Vauxhall, Volkswagen and Toyota being the brands that are preferred by women.
- Fuel economy is the primary reason for wanting to purchase or replace a car for 29% of women with a further 28% of women saying they would like a car with lower mileage and lower running costs.
- With fuel prices remaining close to the record high recorded in April 2010, better fuel economy and greater reliability associated with new and younger used cars, will be more important factors in the decision to replace or buy a car.
- Although women are primarily influenced by the utility benefits of price, reliability and safety when choosing a car, the visual and aesthetic appeal of a car, especially a car they have driven, ridden in or seen being driven is also an important influence.
- As the role of women in society changes with more women combining the roles of income provider, wife, mother and carer of older relatives, women will need cars that are suitable for these different roles throughout their lives.
- Women have traditionally chosen smaller cars for themselves which has gravitated them towards the volume brands, but as more manufacturers including the premium brands introduce smaller cars in their ranges, more women may opt for owning a premium rather than a volume brand car.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.