Feminine Hygiene and Sanitary Protection Products - US - May 2013
“The feminine hygiene and sanitary protection products market is up against several challenges, including private label brands and other new product innovations. Brands that continue to innovate and offer line extensions, as well as build a relationship with users, will be most successful.”
– Emily Krol, Health and Wellness Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can name brands effectively compete with store brands in this market?
- Do new innovations such as menstrual cups steal share from traditional pads and tampons?
- Are women using sanitary protection products for light bladder leakage, instead of products designed for this specific use?
Within the feminine hygiene and sanitary protection products category, product efficacy continues to remain important to women. Advances in technology help brand names, as well as private label brands, continue to innovate and offer women superior protection.
Sales of feminine hygiene and sanitary protection products have remained steady and are expected to continue growing. Sales increased 2.2% to $4.9 billion in 2012, and are forecasted to climb another 13% by 2017. An aging population will push the market for incontinence products, while girls hitting puberty at younger ages will help to drive sales of sanitary protection products. Finally, an increasing trend toward hygiene in all areas of life will spur sales of feminine needs products.
Despite growth, the market is up against several challenges that will be discussed throughout the report, including:
- Limited brand loyalty
- Growth of private label brands
- Declining usage of sanitary protection products
This report will provide readers with an updated review of the market for feminine hygiene and sanitary protection products. The relationship between demographic shifts and product consumption will also be explored.
Shopping habits and product attributes sought are also revealed, to give readers a sense of how women shop for feminine hygiene and sanitary protection products. The report presents major brand advertising strategies, and makes recommendations to marketers in this category. New innovations in the feminine hygiene and sanitary protection market are also presented. Readers will gain a sense of how to best target products to various consumer segments. Finally, product and brand user profiles will help marketers to hone in on their specific target market.
This report will include all internal and external products for sanitary protection and feminine hygiene needs, including the following:
- Sanitary napkins, including pads and liners/shields (Note: throughout this report, the terms sanitary napkin and pad will be used interchangeably)
- Tampons, including plastic applicator, cardboard applicator, and non-applicator tampons
- Adult incontinence products, including pads and briefs (Note: not included in 2012 report)
- Feminine needs products, which includes douches, wipes, vaginal treatments, and other feminine hygiene products (deodorants, vaginal anti-itch products, etc.)
Take a look inside a sample report to see what you will receive: Download now.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.