Fitness Clothing - US - September 2011
At the crossroads of sports, fashion and popular culture, the fitness apparel market boasts some of the best-established brands in the world. This report explores how the macroeconomic landscape, national fitness activity and demographic changes are shaping the market. It hones in on the recent performance, sales, branding and marketing strategies of major suppliers including Nike, Adidas, Puma, New Balance, Hanes, Under Armour and a host of smaller players. It analyzes major recent ad campaigns to probe how these companies are reaching out to teens, 18-24 year olds, women and other key demographic groups. It describes major innovations that enhance the performance, comfort and functionality of fitness apparel. Exclusive, up-to-date consumer research examines which groups are purchasing the most apparel and what products they are buying. It probes behavior, interests and attitudes such as:
- Which groups undertake the most fitness activity? How often and how long do they work out? Which sports/activities are most popular? How do these factors shape purchasing of fitness apparel?
- What are the most widely purchased types of fitness apparel and how does this vary with key demographic variables?
- Which retail channels are most widely used and by which groups? To what extent are consumers now turning to online instead of brick-and-mortar retailers? Which consumers are most likely to purchase fitness apparel online?
- Prior to purchase, which consumers are most likely to undertake research? To look to magazines? To seek the input of friends, family members or salespeople?
- What are consumers’ perceptions of a “reasonable price” for specific products?
- Which groups show the greatest interest in name-brand apparel? In fashionable apparel? In loose or form-fitting apparel? In American-made apparel?
- Which groups are most likely to use fitness clothing exclusively for working out and not for casual wear?
- What issues or problems are most widely noted by different consumer groups? Which are most likely to cite problems related to fit, elasticity, weak stitching, performance, technology, or odor?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.